On Vodafone

Vodafone UK still haven’t fixed the problem I grumbled about in my previous post. They’ve left me unable to use my primary mobile number for 7 weeks now.

The phone works and has the right number, but it has become detached from the billing account somehow and can’t be topped up, making it effectively useless.

After talking to the friendly folk on Vodafone’s support lines got me nowhere, I switched to dealing with the people in my local Vodafone store. They’ve also been as helpful as they can possibly be. Unfortunately, all that means is that they, rather than I, have been getting nowhere by trying to talk to the technical team.

I did get to see what my account looks like on Vodafone’s systems though. It’s blank. They can search for my mobile number, and the search succeeds, but the record that comes back has nothing in it—even the phone number field is empty.

I also finally managed to get a ticketing number for the problem with their technical team. The ticket has a “72-hour SLA”, but they haven’t managed to update it in over a fortnight despite several reminders from the store staff.

Vodafone’s customer accounts website has been down for most of this week. They had network outages in several areas, last week and this.

Their systems are looking pretty fragile.

(Other networks have their problems too: EE screwed up billing for many, many pay-as-you-go customers last week. But at least they fixed that one fairly quickly.)

Edit: Vodafone fixed this on the 27th January, just after I posted this and tweeted about it. The combination of social media pressure with an actual ticket number for an open technical ticket seems to have done the trick.