A few months ago (in February!!) I wrote a post called Unreleased project pile-up that gave a pretty long list of software projects I’d been working on that could benefit from a proper release. It ended: let’s see how many of these I can tidy up & release during the next few weeks. The answer: very few.
During the past couple of weeks I’ve finally managed to make a bit of a dent, crossing off these applications from the list:
- Sonic Annotator batch audio file analyser (read segment boundaries from file, bug fixes)
- Silvet note transcription (fast, low-latency “live” mode)
- NNLS Chroma and Chordino chord estimator (bug fixes, including a significant memory leak)
- MATCH audio alignment Vamp plugin (many new parameters and other improvements)
- Vamp plugin tester (better reporting, fix some false positives)
- Vamp test plugin (new tests for use with Python Vamp host)
- Constant-Q transform library and plugin (add chroma class to library, some fixes)
along with these earlier in the year:
- Tony singing analysis application (user interface enhancements)
- Vamp plugin SDK (improvements to skeleton builds and RDF generator; bug fixes)
- Python extension and module for hosting Vamp plugins
and one update that wasn’t on the list:
- jVamp plugin interface for Java/JVM (bug fixes, simplified API)
Apart from the Python Vamp host, those all fall into the category of “overdue updates”. I haven’t managed to release as much of the actually new software on the list.
One “overdue update” that keeps getting pushed back is the next release of Sonic Visualiser. This is going to be quite a major release, featuring audio recording (a feature I once swore I would never add), proper support for retina and hi-dpi displays with retina rendering in the view layers and a new set of scalable icons, support for very long audio files (beyond the 32-bit WAV limit), a unit conversion window to help convert between units such as Hz and MIDI pitch, and a few other significant features. There’s a little way to go before release yet though.